Wuhan Industrial Institute for Optoelectronics (WIIO) is jointly built by Wuhan East Lake High-tech Development Zone and Huazhong University of Science and Technology. Wuhan National Laboratory for Optoelectronics is responsible for its operation and management. It is a collaborative innovation platform integrated with functions of common technology R&D, pilot scale production, high-end industry incubation, and corporation R&D services. Based on a large number of lab achievements, WIIO is engaged in providing engineering technology research and development, achievements docking, investment operation and business incubation which are necessarily needed for industrialization to achieve the transformation from “innovation” to “creation”.
As the core source of scientific and technological innovation drive of optoelectronics industry in High-tech Zone and the docking platform combined with government, industry, universities and research institutes, WIIO highlights its main feature of openness and takes system and mechanism innovation as a top mission to form the operation and development mode of “promoting innovation by means of openness, determining R&D on basis of needs, leading incubation through market, and seeking development by contributions”. The Center implements president responsibility system under the leadership of the board of directors, project proposal and screening system with the advisory committee as the main body, and the R&D docking system jointly promoted by research divisions, and business divisions.
Relied on R&D resources of National Laboratory for Optoelectronics, WIIO established five major research departments, including Optoelectronic Devices and Integration Industrial Research Department, Research Department of Energy Optoelectronic Industry, Research Department of Biomedical Photonics Industry, Research Department of Information Storage and Optical Display Industry, and Laser and Terahertz Industrial Research Department. As many important scientific achievements have been in the process of transformation, many venture capital institutions have articulated their investment intentions.
With pilot testing research on scientific results, solving the industry common problems & enterprise technical problems as the core tasks and with serving regional industrial economy and constructing “Intelligent Wuhan” as the theme, WIIOwill promote the establishment of enterprise-centered technology innovation system in the optoelectronic field, as well as industry serving system of core technology, consulting and testing to build Wuhan-centric international photoelectric technology engineering innovation platform and photoelectric high-tech business incubator platform, and to contribute to building Wuhan to be the national central city during the “12th Five-Year Plan” period!
1. Institutional responsibilities
1) Relying on Wuhan National Laboratory for Optoelectronics to establish the optoelectronic field industrial technology R&D platform to promote the design and R&D of research results during the laboratory test and pilot test stages;
2) Relying on government’s support, actively lead and participate in the optoelectronics industry technology innovation alliance, solve the major issues of the industry, provide solutions for industrial innovation and upgrade services for the industry, serve Optics Valley and radiating the whole country;
3) Relying on the investment platform, transforming advanced scientific research results and incubating high-tech enterprises;
4) According to business needs, undertake commissioned R&D for key technical issues raised in corporate development, product upgrades and updating;
5) Relying onHubei Optoelectronic Test Center, provide enterprises with product testing, technical consulting, personnel training, and other services, and provide scientific and technical support for the development of Wuhan East Lake National Innovation Model Park and “two-oriented society” of Wuhan City Circle.
2. Business scope
With authorized rights for management, application and conversion of intellectual property, relying on Wuhan National Laboratory for Optoelectronics, WIIOconducts the following businesses:
1) Research & development and pilot production of Generic technology and products for industrial applications;
2) Strategic optoelectronic technology research and development for the demand of regional economic development;
3) Actively organize and participate in industry alliance, and solve major industrial key technical problems;
4) Solve R&D and production problems for enterprises, and promote the upgrade of the optoelectronics industry;
5) Promote laboratory test and pilot test of scientific research results, and incubate optoelectronic high-tech enterprises;
6) Manage intellectual property and protect the rights;
7) Test optoelectronic products and provide services;
8) Cultivate and train industrial personnel;